CALIFORNIA EHV-1 CAUSING EHM DISEASE UPDATE AS OF 3 PM 5/24/2011
California EHV-1 Causing EHM Disease Update as of 12 pm 5/25/2011
California has no new confirmed cases of Equine Herpes Myeloencephalopathy (EHM) caused by EHV-1 since our May 23rd update. There continues to be 18 confirmed EHM cases in the state.
* The positive confirmed cases are located in the following 12 counties: Amador(1), Glenn(2), Kern(2), Los Angeles(1), Marin(1), Napa(1), Placer (3), Plumas(1), Sacramento (1), Shasta(1), Stanislaus(3) and Ventura(1).
* Sixteen(16) of the confirmed positive EHM CA cases participated in the National Cutting Horse Association’s Western National Championships in Ogden, Utah.
* Two (2) of the confirmed positive EHM CA cases participated only in the Kern County Cutting Horse Event on May 13th in Bakersfield, CA.
* One confirmed positive EHM horse was euthanized after showing severe neurological signs associated with EHM.
* All positive confirmed EHM cases are under a State Quarantine.
Read more here: